The Zimapanners

 

 

 

 

                                                

 



Tregullow House
 

 
 
Location 
Tregullow House was built by William Williams (1791-1870), reputedly in 18051. The land surrounding the property was enclosed in 1826. The house is situated a few hundred yards south east of Scorrier House, and lies due west of Zimapan.

Sir William Williams 
  • was John Williams 3rd's youngest son
  • became the 1st Baronet Williams of Tregullow in 1866, a title he himself created
  • married Caroline Eales and lived in Tregullow House until his death in 1870
  • had eight children with CH
After Sir William died, Caroline Williams became head of the household until her death in 1886.

Heads of Tregullow House
The house was passed down, mostly through the Williams family, as follows:
  1. Sir William Williams [±1826-1870].
  2. Caroline Williams [1870-1886].
  3. Arthur Edward Williams [1886-1891].
  4. Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare [1891-1902]2; house run by caretakers from 1901-1902.
  5. Mr Christie buys house [1906-c.1918]
  6. Major John Williams 5th buys house back after WWI [c. 1918], presumably from Mr Christie. At this point, John Williams 5th owns both local piles, but lives in Scorrier House.
  7. Stephen William Williams, Brig. [± 1942—].
  8. James Williams [from 19xx—present]; current head.

Tregullow House in 1891
In 1891, the year in which Tregullow House and Zimapan changed hands, TH is thought to have been occupied, prior to its sale, by one or both of Caroline Williams's two unmarried sons, Arthur Edward Williams (1832-1893) and Michael Williams 3rd. One of them, most probably Arthur, who was the eldest surviving son living in TH with CW at the time of CW's death, is thought to have transferred the ownership of Tregullow House, or leased it, to the local MP for Camborne, Charles A. V. Conybeare in 1891.3


Footnotes
1. The Book of St Day.
2. Conybeare is thought to have continued living in or leasing the property until around 1902 as there are no further entries in Kelly's Directory after 1902. Oddly, the inscription on Florence's memorial in Ingatestone, Essex, which is where Conybeare was also buried later, refers to her as "...late of Tregullow" [ed. Tregullow House], although in fact 11 years had elapsed since the couple had lived there. There is just a chance then that she continued living there without her husband once he began living in Wilmington, but this is speculation.
3. CAVC's ownership of Tregullow House is not mentioned in any of the old deeds investigated so far in this project.