The Tregullow Office
The Tregullow Estate
The Tregullow Estate included much land and at least the following local buildings:
- 2 Fourburrow Yards
- 2 Tregullow Cottages
- Fourburrow House
- Stable Cottage
- Tregullow Cottage
- Tregullow House
- Tregullow Offices later Zimapan Villa
The estate was built, owned and managed by William Williams, 1st Baronet of Tregullow
(until 1870), his wife Caroline Eales (until 1886), and by her two home-based sons
from 1886 until 1891.
The Tregullow Office 1861
The 'Tregullow Offices', only found in Cornish records1 in the singular form, seem to have had a dual function. They
were already being used as a dwellinghouse in 1861 by Eliza Isaac, a 53-year-old
Gwennap-born widow, who is described as a servant, although the word has been crossed out by the
census enumerator. She lived there with her 27-year-old, unmarried daughter, Elizabeth
Isaac, who was a dressmaker.
Part of the property was also used by Williams & Sons as their mine
office2, until 1889, and explains the
description of the property in the 1902 conveyance: "dwellinghouse and offices".
Tregullow Office 1871
The Isaac couple were not recorded in the 1871 Cornish Online Records, and no records can be found
of other properties in the Tregullow Estate for that year.
Tregullow Office 1881
The Isaacs reappear in the 1881 Census, which shows that they were still living in the Tregullow
Office. Eliza Isaac was by now 74, and was described as a housekeeper, while her daughter aged 48,
was still single and making dresses.
Tregullow Office 1891
By the time of the 1891 Census, Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare was living in
Tregullow House3 and had already owned
the 'Tregullow Office' (aka Zimapan) for two years. In the meantime, the Isaacs had moved
out and found accommodation in Tolgullow and were 84 and 59 years old, respectively.
There is no reference to the Tregullow Office in the 1891 census, only to
the Scorrier Office, which was unoccupied.
Tregullow Office 1901
Although no mention is made in the 1901 England Census of the 'Tregullow Office' or of its
occupant, it was in fact occupied by a Sir William Robert Williams, according
to the 1902 Indenture.
1. Cornwall Online Censuses (1861-1891).
2. The Book of St
Day; 'Images for England'.
3. The 1891 England Census.