Essex Bobby Turned Brewer
William Henry Luard Pattisson (1837-1895)
Eldest of ten sons
William Henry Luard Pattisson was born on 20 July 1837 in Cogeshale1
, Essex. He was the first
of 10 sons of
(1803-1874), a solicitor-attorney who started
out with a practice in Witham, and Charlotte Garnham Luard
(1816-1904), also of Witham, Essex.
William Pattisson was the eldest of 16 siblings.
William Henry Luard Pattisson
Photo: Courtesy of The Pattisson
Dewlands Farm (1845)
William was living with his parents in Dewlands Farm
in Black Notley, Braintree, Essex in 1845, the
former home of the celebrated biologist-naturalist John Ray (1627-1705). William's father owned the house, and
it was there that William's father, Jacob Howell Pattisson, entertained members of the Linnaean
with "an elegant cold collation".2
Witham House (1851)
By 1851, William Pattisson's parents had moved from Black Notley to Witham House
, a grand nineteenth century town house
at 57 Newland Street, Witham, Essex. 
The household was
run by nine servants, among whom were a cook, laundry-, kitchen- and housemaids, a footman and a
governess-cum-teacher. William Pattisson was 13 years old and attending school, as was customary for the
sons over seven years of age. William was living there with four brothers4
and five sisters.5
Harriett Board, a 22-year-old unmarried governess from Devon, was
charged with educating the four eldest girls and John R.
On 14 March 1854, William Pattisson was admitted to St John's College, Cambridge, where his father had also
studied. William began university life in the Michaelmas Term 1854.6
He wrote for the Johnian magazine The Eagle
. Owing to a
change in family fortunes
William was only able to study there for eight academic terms before being withdrawn7
, and went down on 14 April 1859.8
Pattisson joins police (1859)
On 1 July 1859, 22-year-old William Pattisson joined the Essex County Constabulary and was promoted in December
1859 to the rank of superintendent. He was stationed in Epping, Essex, for several years before becoming Deputy
Chief Constable of Essex, an office he held from 1867 to 30 April 1874. During 1859, William's father moved the
family to Tonbridge, Kent, where he continued working as a solicitor.9 The move coincided with Jacob Howell Pattisson's decision to send his all
his younger sons to Tonbridge School, starting with James Jollie.
Epping Police Station (1861)
On 7 April 1861, William Pattisson, 23, was registered as living at the Police Station in the High
Street, Epping, Essex, and was a Superintendent. At the time of the census, William had a visitor lodging with
him, a William R. Williams, a 62-year-old practising barrister born in Heytesbury, Wiltshire in
1798.9 The nature of their relationship is not certain, but
it is conceivable that the barrister was staying with William at the Police Station while on Pattisson family
Deputy Chief Constable (1867-1874)
William was appointed Deputy Chief Constable of Essex in 1867, a rank he would hold until 1874.
On 2 April 1871, William Pattisson was living in Springfield Court, Chelmsford, Essex with Police
Constable James Pepper and his wife Sarah (housekeeper) and their two-year-old daughter. William
was head of the household and single. The enumerator recorded his birthplace as Witham, Essex, rather than
Cogeshale as found in the 1861 England Census.
Bloomsbury wedding (1874)
On 8 January 1874, William Pattisson
married Emily Celestine Hill, the 3rd daughter of Colonel Sir Stephen John Hill, the Governor of
Newfoundland. They married in the Parish Church of St George, Bloomsbury, London, according to the Rites and
Ceremonies of the Established Church, after the banns of marriage had been read out in church beforehand. The
wedding was officiated by William's 38-year-old uncle, Bixby Garnham Luard, who at that time was the
Vicar of Aveley.
The marriage certificate records William's rank or profession as 'Gentleman'. The ceremony was witnessed by
William Hill, the bride's brother, Jacob Howell Pattisson, the groom's father, and Edith
Chapman. William's address at the time of marriage is given as Springfield [ed. Court],
a parish situated on the eastern side of Chelmsford, Essex, while Emily's was Woburn
Square11, Bloomsbury, midway between Russell Square and
Writtle Brewery (1874-1895)
In 1874, William Pattisson's father died. It was also around this time that William is thought to have ended
his career in the Essex Police Force and, perhaps with the help of a bequest from his father, became involved
with the Essex-based Writtle Brewery, located on the west side of Chelmsford.
On 5 April 1881, William and Emily Pattisson were living in the High Street (Schedule No. 69), Tonbridge, Kent.
Emily Celestine's place of birth is given in the 1881 Census as Honduras. The couple, who had a
three-year-old daughter Charlotte Alice Pattisson (b. 1878, Writtle) were living as a family with
William's 64-year-old widowed mother, Charlotte Garnham Pattisson. By 1881, William's had become a 'brewer',
and eventually became the Managing Director of Writtle Brewery.12
Three generations under one roof
The house in Tonbridge High Street was being shared by other members of the Pattisson family and friends,
- Mary, a 31-year-old unmarried governess
- Walter Badely, 26, an unmarried solicitor
- Frederick Luard, a 24-year-old unmarried broker and a member of the London Stock Exchange
- Richard Murrills, 20, born in Tonbridge, and a Cambridge undergraduate
- John Hammond (Richard M's friend), 20, visitor, and also a Cambridge undergraduate
The household was being run by three domestic servants; 2 housemaids and a kitchenmaid.
Pattissons for neighbours
The house next door (Schedule No. 68) was also being lived in by Pattissons: Commander Pattisson, Royal
Navy, and his wife Emma Agnes Pattisson, 33, and her two children, John Howell Pattisson
2nd (aged 6) and Agnes Madeline Pattisson (aged 4). Emma's husband was away on naval duties,
leaving her to run the household with a general servant and a nursemaid.13
Conybeare's loan (1891)
On 11 March 1891, William Pattisson, aged 54, along with two of his other brothers and his uncle, Bixby Garnham
Luard, loaned a total of £3,000 to Charles A. V. Conybeare when he mortgaged the 'Tregullow Offices' (later
Zimapan) together with various other properties.14 See
The 1891 Indenture. According to Portsmouth conveyancing solicitor Ian
K. Nelson, the loan was a "straightforward investment".15
William Pattisson died in Writtle, Chelmsford, on 16 July 1895, aged 57,16, the year before the 'Tregullow Offices', the property he had co-mortgaged with
two of his brothers and his uncle, was placed in trust by Charles Conybeare as part of a marriage settlement.
William Pattisson left a widow with two daughters and three sons. Sixteen months later, his widow Emily died on 17
November 1896, at Hill House, Ealing.17
It is not known what became of his share of the loan, or
whether it was ever repaid, or who benefited from the interest owing on his outstanding money. Given the terms of
the 1891 Indenture, however, the sum borrowed may have been assigned to one of William's heirs named in his will
(most likely his wife), or perhaps to one of William's brothers who was involved in the investment scheme.
1. The 1861 England Census.
2. Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900.
3. Witham House: a painting from the Pattisson Collection, photographed by Guy Burges. House now
occupied by HSBC Bank.
4. Jacob Luard (10), Hoël T. (7), John R. (6), James Jollie (2 mth).
5. Charlotte (12), Elizabeth (11), Sarah J. G. (9), Rachel (4), Mary (1).
6. Michaelmas Term: 10 Oct to 16 Dec.
7. Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900.
8. The Library of St John's College, Cambridge, 2009.
9. Essex Record Office, Pattisson family correspondence.
10. This barrister is not, coincidentally, the (Sir) William Robert Williams of the famous mining
dynasty, who rented the 'Tregullow Offices' from CAVC and died aged 42.
11. Marriages& Banns, 1754-1921, Ancestry.com.
12. Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900.
13. The 1881 England Census.
14. The 1902 Conveyance.
15. Ian K. Nelson, 2009.
16. Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900.
17. The Times, 19 Nov 1896.