The Zimapanners

 

 

 

 

                                                

 

 Henry G.M. Conybeare: 1859-  

Biography 

 
Coulsden, Surrey 1859
Henry Grant Madan Conybeare was born in 1859 in Coulsden, Surrey, and was the youngest of four sons of John Charles Conybeare, an "occasional barrister", and Katherine Mary Vansittart (b. 1828, Berkshire), of Dry Hill, Tonbridge, Kent. He was six years younger than his eldest brother, Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare.

Education
Henry Conybeare was educated at Tonbridge School, Kent (1869-1878) and at Sydney Sussex College, Cambridge. He went on to study for a year at the Engineering School at the Crystal Palace.1

Siblings
Henry Conybeare had three brothers and three sisters:
  • Katherine A. M. Conybeare (b. abt. 1851, Kew, Surrey)
  • Georgina E. Conybeare (b. abt. 1852, Kew, Surrey)
  • Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare (1853-1919, Kew, Surrey)
  • William J.S. Conybeare (b. abt. 1856, Kew, Surrey)
  • Frederick C. Conybeare (b. abt. 1857, Coulsden, Surrey)
  • Clara J.C. Conybeare (b. abt. 1865, Coulsden, Surrey)

His daughter, Constance Phyllis Conybeare, married Brigadier James Archibald Dunboyne Langhorne (1879-1950), CBE, DSO, in 1914.2

'Tregullow Offices' (1896)
On 14 October 1896, Henry Conybeare was appointed joint legal owner and trustee, of the 'Tregullow Offices' (later Zimapan), Scorrier, Tregullow, Cornwall, by his elder brother Charles Augustus Vansittart Conybeare, barrister-at-law and MP for Camborne, Cornwall. Merchant banker, Isaac Seligman, was the other trustee. See The 1896 Deed of Trust.

Co-trustee and vendor of 'Tregullow Offices' (1902)
On 21 July 1902, Henry Conybeare, 43, was living at Delmore, Ingatestone, Essex.3 On this day, Henry Conybeare and Isaac Seligman, the joint trustees of the 'Tregullow Offices' (later renamed Zimapan Villa) in Tregullow, Scorrier, were instructed by Charles A.V. Conybeare and his wife Florence A. Conybeare, to sell the property which he and Isaac Seligman had been holding on trust since 1896, as part of a marriage settlement for Florence Conybeare. The 1902 Indenture transferred 'Tregullow Offices' to Charles Rule Williams, a mining engineer.

Occupation
He was a Justice of the Peace, and his last address was Gunfield, Ingatestone, Essex.4


Footnotes
1. The Tonbridge School Register, 1869.
2. Who's Who and Who Was Who 2009.
3. The 1902 Conveyance.
4. Same as f/n 2.