Barclays sells land to De L'Arbre
The deed of conveyance of 19 May 1953 refers to two interested parties:
Barclays Bank Limited
Trustees of the GPW's Trust
Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander
Lady of independent means
Additional land adjoining Zimapan
In May 1953, Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander (ex-Aberdeen) bought some additional land (aka 'waste land') adjacent
to Zimapan. This land had originally been bought by Barclays Bank more than five years earlier from the
George Percival Williams Trust which in turn had bought it in 1948 from the John Williams Trust.
The land in question was originally part of a settlement that John Williams had created back in 1891.
Significance of additional land
The significance of the additional land which then became part of the Zimapan estate in 1953, is that
it originally belonged to the branch of the Williams family that owns Scorrier House, while the
original Zimapan property (the 'Tregullow Offices') had originally belonged to the branch of the
Williams family which owns Tregullow House.
(See The 1948 Conveyance).
The conveyance contains a covenant between Barclays Bank and Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander, which stipulated
that the purchaser of the land, Daisy May, was responsible for fencing off the property surrounding
Zimapan from the rest of the land that the bank controlled as trustees, and to ensure it was
In 1953, £55 would have the same spending power as £985 today (2009).2 This extra land represented a good deal for Daisy May de L'Arbre, as she only
paid an additional 2.5% nine years later, to double the area of her land.3
1. Reference to the 'covenant' is made in the 1978 Conveyance.
2. The National Archive.