The Zimapanners

 

 

 

 

                                                

 

The 1953 Conveyance

Barclays Bank—De L'Arbre (Aberdeen)


Barclays sells land to De L'Arbre
The deed of conveyance of 19 May 1953 refers to two interested parties:

1st Part 
Vendor 
Barclays Bank Limited
Trustees of the GPW's Trust
2nd Part 
Purchaser 
Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander
Lady of independent means
Purchase price
£55

Additional land adjoining Zimapan
In May 1953, Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander (ex-Aberdeen) bought some additional land (aka 'waste land') adjacent to Zimapan. This land had originally been bought by Barclays Bank more than five years earlier from the George Percival Williams Trust which in turn had bought it in 1948 from the John Williams Trust. The land in question was originally part of a settlement that John Williams had created back in 1891.

Significance of additional land
The significance of the additional land which then became part of the Zimapan estate in 1953, is that it originally belonged to the branch of the Williams family that owns Scorrier House, while the original Zimapan property (the 'Tregullow Offices') had originally belonged to the branch of the Williams family which owns Tregullow House.
(See The 1948 Conveyance).

Covenant
The conveyance contains a covenant between Barclays Bank and Daisy May de L'Arbre de Malander, which stipulated that the purchaser of the land, Daisy May, was responsible for fencing off the property surrounding Zimapan from the rest of the land that the bank controlled as trustees, and to ensure it was "reasonably stock-proof".1

Purchase price
In 1953, £55 would have the same spending power as £985 today (2009).2 This extra land represented a good deal for Daisy May de L'Arbre, as she only paid an additional 2.5% nine years later, to double the area of her land.3


Footnotes
1. Reference to the 'covenant' is made in the 1978 Conveyance.
2. The National Archive.
3. £985/£38925=2.5%.